2015 Feast with the Turkeys
The turkeys are all ready for their special feast, where they are the guests of honor, and the pigs are ready for their pumpkins at the Thanksgiving WITH the Turkeys on Saturday, November 21 from 12-4 p.m.!
Past Events: 12th Annual Run for the Animals!
Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 8:30 a.m.
Wheaton Regional Park, Wheaton, Maryland
2000 Shorefield Road
Wheaton, MD US 20902
* Please be sure to put the Shorefield Road address into your GPS as “Wheaton Regional Park” will take you to the wrong entrance. Join us for the Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary’s 12th annual “Run for the Animals!” The 5K run and 1 or 1.7 mile fun walk is afundraiser dedicated to supporting the life-saving work Poplar Spring does everyday. Canine friends are welcome on the walk, but for their safety, not on the run. Prior to the race there will be a pre-race warm-up by the Boot Camp Girl for all the runner’s and walkers! Get there early to warm up and get pumped for the 5k or 1 mile walk.Race participants also have the option to go the extra mile and raise additional funds online for Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary.
Registration fee for both the run and walk: $35Online registration has closed. You may still register on the day of the race starting at 7:00 a.m.Monetary prizes will be given to the top 3 overall male and female finishers. Awards will also be given to the top team, and top male and female finishers in the following age categories: 13 and under, 14-19, 20-29, 30-39,40-49, 50-59, 60-69, and 70 and older.The winning animal and general teams will be based on the top two finishing male and female runners.Timing chips will be distributed to all the runners.
Sponsoring our flagship fundraiser allows you to support our daily efforts to feed, shelter, and care for the residents of Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary.At the same time, you publicly align your business or organization with our mission through web, print, and on-site promotions reaching our over 600 expected attendees this year.Sponsor the Run
Whether you are able to raise $5 or $500, every donation gives us the ability to continue providing care for the more than 200 rescued animals living at the sanctuary — and it gives us the capacity to help more animals!When you register for the race, you will have access to a personal fundraising page. You can personalize the page with a photo and a story. We encourage you to write about why you believe in our mission, but you’re always welcome to use this sample story.For your convenience, here are a couple of sample e-mails you can use to send to your friends and family. sponsorship_letter1 / sponsorship_letter2Thank you for choosing to go the extra mile. We are deeply grateful for your support.
Packet Pick-up will be held on Saturday, May 16 from 10:30 – 3:00 at RnJ Sports, 11910 Parklawn Drive Rockville, MD 20854. We will have some great goodie bag items, where you can choose the items you would like for your goodie bag. To help to keep the race as green as possible please bring your own bag.Packet Pick-up will also be held on race day, Sunday, May 17, at Wheaton Regional Park from 7:00 a.m. until the start of the race at 8:30 a.m.
Poplar Spring worked hard to make the race as environmentally friendly as possible.
- All our food is vegan.
- We give participants organic cotton t-shirts printed with water-based ink.
- Rather than waste paper on flyers, we have online virtual goodie bags offering discounts to animal-friendly businesses and information on non-profit organizations. These bags give exclusive offers, coupons, giveaways, and messages from our sponsors.
- We use biodegradable utensils, cups, and garbage bags.
- Each race participant will have a tree planted in his or her honor.
- We recycle as much as possible from the race.
- We collect used shoes at the race, which are recycled by Nike and donated to Africa for distribution.
Prior to the race there will be a pre-race warm-up by the Boot Camp Girl for all the runner’s and walkers! Get there early to warm up and get pumped for the 5k or 1 mile walk.Course Map